donderdag 2 april 2009

Het Neoliberale Geloof 403

The Personal Politics of Hopelessness

As I write this I'm eating a sub I bought from across the street. While it was being prepared I chatted with the young woman making it, and she told me about moving from the Canadian Maritimes to Toronto, to, in essence, get a job that pays a little more than minimum wage. Because out in the Maritimes she had trouble getting even that.


I thought to myself that her experience is one that politicians need to have. Many politicians, of course, have never ever had a bad job. They went straight to a good university and from there to a good job or internship. They probably worked hard for it, and think they deserve what they have, never really seeing all the people whose feet were never on that road, who never had the same shot they did.

Then there are a fair number of pols, though less and less every year, who will tell you about the lousy jobs they had as teenagers, or maybe in their early twenties. But in most cases something is different between them and many working class and even middle class folks.

They knew they weren't staying there.

When I was poor and working in lousy jobs I used to look in the mirror and see myself at 50, or 60. I expected to still be working at grindingly hard jobs, being treated badly by bosses (because there is no rule more iron than that the worse you are paid the worse your employer will treat you), and still being paid little more than minimum wage. That was the future I saw for myself.

And when I was on welfare, after having failed to find a job for 6 months, and even being turned down by McDonalds (in the middle of the early nineties recession) I wondered if I'd even ever have a shitty job again. I ate cheap starchy food, turned pasty and put on weight. My clothes ran down. When my glasses broke beyond the point where tape would keep them together I literally had to beg the optometrist to make me his cheapest pair and I'd pay him later. (I eventually did.) My life was a daily grind of humiliation.

And that's what I expected my life to be.

When politicians participate in one of those "live on Welfare for a week/month" programs I'm happy, but I'm also dubious. The difference is that they know they're getting out in a week or a month. They know it's going to end. Much as I applaud someone like Barbara Ehrenreich, who lived for months working at lousy jobs, again, she knew it was going to end. She knew that, if push come to shove and she became seriously sick, she could opt out. She knew that if she really couldn't eat for days, that was her choice.'
Lees verder: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ian-welsh/the-personal-politics-of_b_182085.html

1 opmerking:

Anoniem zei

Jezus, is dat programma van de Frogers en de voedselbank ook al daar van afgeleid? Het is toch g.v.d. toch schaamteloos dat die voedselbanken (armenbedeling) uberhaupt bestaan hier en zet dan die schofterige banale, bizarre bonussen en beloningen hier tegenover?
Ook bij de televisie zie je die stinkende mentaliteit die de financiele wereld en de journalistiek beheerst. Gelukkig zijn er een paar uitzonderingen, maar het wordt wel mondjesmaat.


anzi

Peter Flik en Chuck Berry-Promised Land

mijn unieke collega Peter Flik, die de vrijzinnig protestantse radio omroep de VPRO maakte is niet meer. ik koester duizenden herinneringen ...