Van Omar Barghouti, die de actie voor boycot van Israel coordineert:
We just found out that the University and College Union (UCU) congress has passed that ALL three pro-Palestinian motions, with large majorities!! This despite all the legal intimidation attempts by the Zionist lobby at the last minute.
I am copying below the UCU motions that I understand have passed (but please do not quote me yet, we are still not 100% sure of the final wording of the passed motions).
Outstanding, persistent work by our partners, BRICUP, in the UK and our Palestinian academic delegation which recently toured 20 universities in the UK, contributing significantly to this victory.
"Greylisting" -- referred to below in reference to Ariel College -- is the general procedure adopted by the UCU leadership, gradually investigating an academic institution for international law and human rights violations leading to steps that can reach boycott. This is a mild version of boycott, but all Zionist media refer to this motion as "the boycott motion."
SFC10 Composite: Palestine and the occupation University of Brighton – Eastbourne, University of Brighton – Grand Parade, University of East London Docklands, National Executive Committee
Congress notes the
1. continuation of illegal settlement, killing of civilians and the impossibility of civil life, including education;
2. humanitarian catastrophe imposed on Gaza by Israel and the EU;
3. apparent complicity of most of the Israeli academy;
4. legal attempts to prevent UCU debating boycott of Israeli academic institutions; and legal advice that such debates are lawful
Congress affirms that
5. criticism of Israel or Israeli policy are not, as such, anti-semitic;
6. pursuit and dissemination of knowledge are not uniquely immune from their moral and political consequences;
Congress resolves that
7. colleagues be asked to consider the moral and political implications of educational links with Israeli institutions, and to discuss the occupation with individuals and institutions concerned, including Israeli colleagues with whom they are collaborating;
8. UCU widely disseminate the personal testimonies of UCU and PFUUPE delegations to Palestine and the UK, respectively;
9. the testimonies will be used to promote a wide discussion by colleagues of the appropriateness of continued educational links with Israeli academic institutions;
10. UCU facilitate and encourage twinning arrangements and other direct solidarity with Palestinian institutions;
11. Ariel College, an explicitly colonising institution in the West Bank, be investigated under the formal Greylisting Procedure.
SFC11 Gaza emergency University College London
Congress notes1. The humanitarian catastrophe that developed in Gaza in March 2008, following a long siege and military bombardment, during which over 100 people died.2. The call by the Palestinian General Federation of Trade Unions (PGFTU) to international trade unions to put pressure on their own governments to take action to stop the escalation of violence and relieve the humanitarian crisis.3. Students and academics have been among those trapped in Gaza.
Congress resolvesTo organise a fact-finding delegation to Gaza after the bombing stops and to send delegates on future TUC-sponsored visits.
SFC12 Palestine National Executive Committee
Congress notes the report of the Trade Union Delegation to Palestine in January 2008, facilitated by the Palestine Solidarity Campaign, in which 4 representatives of UCU took part.
Congress notes that the delegation was generously hosted in Nablus by the Palestinian General Federation of Trade Unions.
Congress deplores the failure of the Israeli Histadrut to pay the approximately 2.5 million Euros owed to the PGFTU since 1995, representing 50% of the official organisational dues of Palestinian workers working in Israel, under the terms of the Framework Agreement of March 1995 following the Oslo Accords of 1993.
Congress calls on the Histadrut to pay the dues owed to the PGFTU; to call for an end to the siege of Gaza; and to call for an end to the occupation of Palestinian and Syrian territory.'
Nu Nederland nog.